02 March 2011

SUGARFREE'S LAST NOTE

PAALAM PILIPINAS.

That was the event title of Sugarfree's farewell concert, held last night (1 March 2011) at Eastwood Central Plaza.

Despite my lack of finances, my bad cough, the bad weather, and the venue's proximity, I hurried myself after work and fought the really bad traffic. After all, it will be the last concert of Sugarfree, and I sure can't miss it for the world.

The poster
 
A little past 7:00, I found myself skipping through the thick Megamall crowd. I have to meet Ate Charm and TJ first. You know, companions meant lower cab fare. *grin* Also, I know that these guys would like the music, if they're not yet familiar with the band's discography.

While having dinner at Yellow Cab, I couldn't help but fidget on my seat. I've been listening to the live broadcast of the show on the radio. Thank you, Jam 88.3! It was Quark Henares speaking, he was tasked to introduce the band. I learned that the young director was a good friend of Ebe's and that he directed most of their music videos. I wonder if he was behind that cute music video of "Kung Ayaw Mo Na Sa Akin".

Anyhow, the band had started while we were still in the cab. I can hear the crowd going crazy as Ebe sang Kung Ayaw Mo Na Sa Akin. I felt like the "envy" monster is eating me up from the inside. Hey! That was my favorite song. So while in cab, I crooned in between coughs, together with the rest of Eastwood.

Ate Charm and TJ

the crowd to my right

the crowd to my left


When we arrived at the venue, I was surprised at how big the crowd was. I mean, I already expected that a lot of people will come as this is Sugarfree's last night. But boy, what we saw was a rebellion! Even the ala frescos around weren't able to operate since all the spaces between tables were swarmed with fans. Even the exits and the walkways were full.

Despite the non-stop rain, the crowd prevailed. And I was one with them. We were there to show support to our favorite local band, the geniuses who crafted the songs that defined our happiness, our heartaches, or whatever it was that we went through. It was good to sing with everyone the lines that I remember in Dear Kuya, Makita Kang Muli, Hari ng Sablay, Huwag Ka Nang Umiyak, Kwarto, Mariposa, Hay Buhay, and of course my favorite, Tulog Na. In between segments, the band members get to say their individual farewells. And it was really sad. Ebe cried, Haha.

Also, I would like to mention that I learned a few things that night. First, the band members were Ebe Dancel (Guitars and Vocals), Jal Taguibao (Bass), Kaka Quisumbing (Drums, 2006 onwards), and Mitch Singson (Drums, 1999-2006). Second, I learned that Jal is a professor in UP Diliman and UP Manila. If I'm not mistaken, he teaches Political Science. Another learning is that, there were a lot of great Sugarfree songs that I wasn't aware of. So I hope someone will give me a copy of their albums. *grin* Or at least the following, Burnout, Nangangawit, Taguan, and Telepono.

Lastly, I realized (or maybe I'm just speculating) that, based on their general appearance, body language, and overall attitude as audience, most of the people in the crowd belongs to Class A or B. And since I'm part of that crowd, I guess that makes me someone with a superior taste in music. Kidding! But really, I encourage everyone to start (or continue) to listen to Sugarfree. Theirs is good music.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger