07 March 2012

EL CABEZA

March 2, 2012

entertainment.inquirer.net

Last Friday, the publisher of my favorite newspaper Philippine Daily Inquirer died of heart attack at 77. 

Having been in the news realm since he was 19, he had contributed a lot to our country, bringing us information, even amidst political boycotts organized against his newspaper. He had been known to have created impacts and has served as inspiration, not only to his colleagues, but also to other journalists, successful and aspiring alike. And as such, they call him one of the Pillars of Philippine Journalism.

Being a reader of PDI, I would like to devote an entry to Mr. Gani. As a child I have always loved reading. I read mythology books, atlases, encyclopedia, fiction, etc. But I never read the paper. I just didn’t like reading current events. I don’t know why – perhaps it was the ubiquity of depressing news. However, sometime in college, I discovered the glory of “knowing”. Or more specifically, knowing what’s going on in the country and in the world. Thanks to PDI who made me allot P20 weekly from my living allowance, to buy my Sunday paper.

Even now as I work, I have developed this habit of reading the paper every weekend, and even subscribing to daily newsletters through my office email. Thanks to the reader-friendly layout, and the wonderful writers and researchers of Inquirer. Thanks to Mr. Isagani Yambot.

May you rest in peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger